Monday, February 16, 2009

Politics: Bennett Makes a Campaign Stop in Southern Utah


On Saturday, February 14, 2009 Senator Bob Bennett stopped by Cedar City. He is starting his reelection campaign. The elections are still about 21 months away, but the political race seems to never stop.

Politicians nowadays must have tremendous pressures; they deal with massive amounts of legislation, must respond to their constituents, deal somehow with special interests, and the media is always watching, waiting for the slightest slip to use as garnish for the news reports. I don't envy them at all.

In fact I have a great deal of respect to anyone who wants to take on that much responsibility. Whether I agree with them politically or not they deserve some approbation.

If I do, in fact, disagree with any politician then it is my responsibility to take the time to lay out my reasons in a letter or email, and, if possible, offer an alternative for them consider. And it is important to understand that any politician may, after considering everything, choose something other than what I might have. I still am responsible for treating them with courtesy and kindness. And a free society demands that people treat each other in that manner.

Comments, suggestions, and questions can be directed to test.veeschay@gmail.com